Associate, Marketing & Communications
The Marketing & Communications Associate supports public relations efforts for Oceana Inc.
This position will include assisting in the development of marketing plans for the entire organization to achieve specific press hits designed to increase the number of Oceana supporters and e-activists, and to make Oceana famous as the leading ocean conservation organization with the national media.
The Associate works with Oceana’s International Communications Manager to secure press for the Oceana brand, development events, executive committee, celebrity supporters, and the Save the Oceans Feed the World initiative. In addition, the Associate works closely with the Communications Managers/Directors in Oceana’s regional offices and selectively cross promotes stories that will help Oceana achieve its press and other goals. The position also manages placement of Oceana public service announcements and oversees Oceana’s media support tools.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Execute public relations plans for Oceana’s e-activism programs designed to increase the number of prospective and actual e-activists and donors.
- Establish Oceana as the leading international ocean advocacy organization with the national media.
- Assist in securing press placements to establish CEO as a thought leader through the “Save the Oceans, Feed the World” campaign.
- Meet specific goals for press placements.
- Develop relationships with top national, regional and local reporters.
- Support coordination of stories between Oceana country offices and U.S. media (focus on stories that achieve Oceana’s e-activism and major donor goals).
- Build and manage media lists for the organization
- Manage international quarterly board book reports about the communications efforts of the organization.
- Manage relationships with various media vendors (e.g., PR Newswire, Meltwater, etc.)
- Be a constant “story generator” – continually seek to generate new story ideas based on current events for Oceana.
- Manage placement of Oceana Public Service Announcements
- Assist in meeting demands of corporate partnerships as needed
- Provide assistance in accomplishing communications goals as needed or requested by Communications Manager, International.
- Coordinate production of Oceana annual report.
- Perform additional duties as needed and/or assigned.
Education and work experience:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 1-2 years of relevant experience.
Skills and knowledge:
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills. Bilingual in Spanish a plus but not required.
- Ability to work cooperatively with staff, other organizations and the public.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines and work under pressure while maintaining humor and high energy.
- Familiarity with online media (and processes) is also highly desirable.
- Ability to take initiative in suggesting ways to augment work and responsibilities of position to accomplish Oceana’s goals.