Campaign Director - Responsible Fishing
The Campaign Director – Responsible Fishing will lead a multidisciplinary team to plan, develop, implement and win Oceana’s policy campaigns for responsible fishing. The Director will lead policy campaigns designed to make changes in fishing policy. Strong leadership, management, strategic thinking skills, and a background in fisheries policy and wildlife conservation are essential to the success of the campaigns. The campaign director will report to the Vice President for U.S. Oceans.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead in the development and implementation of campaign strategies and tactics
- Lead the development of annual and longer-term campaign goals
- Lead and manage a team consisting of scientist(s), advocates, communications professionals, lawyers and others to achieve campaign goals
- Assist with new campaign development as needed
- Develop advocacy, communications, outreach and legal strategies to achieve the goals of the campaign
- Establish and maintain Oceana leadership on campaign issues
- Develop campaign messages, strategies and materials
- Serve as spokesperson for the campaign and related issues to the press
- Lead in the planning and implementation of events
- Manage outside relationships with partners, vendors, supporters, and decision-makers
- Manage the research and writing of reports, papers, and other materials
- Maintain a working knowledge of related science and policy practices
- Develop and manage campaign budget
- Assist in fundraising for campaign projects and programs
- Other responsibilities as appropriate and necessary to achieve campaign objectives
Education and Work Experience:
- Seven (5) years of related professional experience including at least three (3) years managing staff and teams.
- Must have exceptional management skills with proven ability to lead a professional staff and ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Experience completing projects under tight deadlines and effectively managing a demanding work load.
- Ability to work on multiple projects in parallel.
- Capability to effectively lead a campaign team.
- Desire and ability to advocate for complex, aggressive conservation positions in both small and large settings.
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills, and a keen analytical ability.
- Strong writing and communications skills
- Some travel is required
- Graduate or law degree and fluency in Spanish a plus.