Executive Assistant to VP of Major Gifts
Oceana is an international organization that focuses solely on oceans, and is dedicated to achieving measurable change by conducting scientific, fact-based campaigns with fixed deadlines and articulated goals. Oceana is dedicated to its advocacy on behalf of oceans and channels its resources to achieve measurable outcomes that will help return our oceans to former levels of abundance. These campaigns are regional and international, led by teams of dedicated and talented scientists, economists, lawyers and advocates focused on measuring and achieving tangible results for the oceans.
Oceana is seeking an Executive Assistant to the Vice President of Major Gifts and Events. The VP is responsible for raising funds from individual donors and through events to support Oceana’s mission. The Executive Assistant manages a varied, fast paced, high volume workload and is able to work both independently and in teams to meet deadlines and accomplish tasks. The Executive Assistant works cooperatively with staff throughout Oceana.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage workflow into and out of the VP’s office. Help structure VP’s time to provide focus on the most important and urgent issues. Keep track of the VP’s to-do list, screen emails and calls to help set priorities and make tentative commitments. Use a high degree of judgment to handle correspondence and phone inquiries, speeding response and minimizing VP handling.
- Responsible for VP’s email correspondence: retrieve e-mails, categorize, establish tasks and monitor completion of same; draft responses for VP and holds responses for VP approval.
- Schedule and coordinate VP’s appointments, meetings (internal/external), and travel. Determine nature of appointments and, as appropriate, develop agendas, prepare or obtain necessary background materials. Anticipate VP’s needs for events and travel and ensure necessary arrangements and details are attended to.
- Facilitate preparation of agenda and materials for departmental meetings. Manage reproduction and distribution process of meeting materials. Draft agenda, minutes, and ensure follow-up. Set up the space and technology to ensure smooth meetings.
- Support the VP’s role with the Board of Directors and the Executive Committee. Coordinate special projects commissioned by the board and the EC, maintain official records and files. Ensure follow up including scheduling and attending meetings with appropriate staff members, completing tasks, engaging outside stakeholders, and providing VP with updates.
- Prepare expense reimbursement requests for VP approval. Ensure timely payment of invoices.
- Handle research assignments for the VP and assist with development of presentations.
- Perform additional duties as needed and/or assigned.
Education/Experience or Other Requirements
- College degree and 5 years’ experience as an executive assistant or equivalent combination of education and administrative experience required.
- Must have excellent computer skills, including proficiency using Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Visio).
- Must have the ability to handle many tasks simultaneously, with speed, accuracy, and courtesy, show initiative, and exhibit exceptional level of insightful planning. Can pivot/adapt to rapidly changing priorities and track completion of non-urgent items.
- Appreciates and uses direct, clear communication, has high emotional intelligence, will ask clarifying questions when needed and is persistent at follow-up.
- Must possess good organizational, written and verbal communication skills. For example, can synthesize complex ideas, break-down the big picture into detailed action steps, and is good at making and following plans.
- Must be willing to accept varied workload, including travel and working outside of normal work-week hours.
- Must maintain strict confidentiality in working with sensitive data, and possess excellent judgment in handling communications, expenses, budgets and other issues.
- Must be a team player, who can build and maintain trust and confidence of all staff including Executive Committee members.
- Ability to take initiative in suggesting ways to augment work and responsibilities of position to accomplish Oceana’s goals.
- Must be able to represent Oceana in a professional and responsive manner at all times.