Systems Compliance and Reporting Analyst
Nearly one billion people currently do not have enough to eat. The demand for food is projected to increase 70 percent by 2050 as the population grows to an expected nine billion. An often overlooked solution to this problem is our oceans. A fully productive ocean could provide one nutritious meal a day for 700 million people, or 13 to 15 percent of the animal protein produced on the entire planet. Moreover, wild-caught ocean fish uses no land, needs negligible amounts of water, is the lowest cost per pound to obtain, and provides human health benefits.
Unfortunately, ocean productivity is drastically declining due to overfishing, destructive fishing practices, marine habitat loss and pollution. If action is not taken to reverse this trend now, wild seafood may soon disappear as a major food source for a hungry planet. There is good news, however: restoring wild seafood is achievable and there are many examples of fish rebounding under science-based management, which is also surprisingly feasible. Science gives us clear direction about how to manage fish recovery. Fish will recover if we –
- Set reasonable fishing quotas and reduce industrial overfishing.
- Reduce bycatch (the incidental catch of non-targeted animals).
- Protect marine habitat, both in preserving biodiversity and ecosystem health, as well as from the harmful effects of marine pollution.
Oceana is headquartered in Washington, DC and has offices in New York City, NY; Juneau, AK, Portland, OR, Monterey, CA, City of Belmopan, Belize; Brussels, Belgium; Brasilia, Brazil; Santiago, Chile; Copenhagen, Denmark; Lima, Peru; Manila, Philippines; Madrid, Spain; Mexico City, Mexico; The legal entities in Belize, Brazil, Spain, and the United Kingdom follow the host country’s regulations and, as a result, are incorporated as independent entities. Oceana boasts a worldwide staff in excess of 220 full time professionals and an annual operating budget of approximately $43 million dollars.
Oceana is a fairly young, fast-growing, dynamic, international organization. We seek a Systems Compliance and Reporting analyst who, as part of the Global Operational Services department, will contribute to proper system utilization, process development and reporting. Ability to work independently without close supervision, manage complexity, identify and solve problems with a fair degree of resiliency is required. S/he will liaise with Oceana divisions and international sites to resolve challenging system requirements. The candidate will partner with the Oceana accounting team to deliver accurate and timely information. This position reports to the Corporate Controller and is based in Washington, DC.
The Systems Compliance and Reporting analyst position is responsible for the effective performance of various system functions, including NetSuite ERP and Nexonia time and attendance. This includes reconciliations, transaction analysis, general ledger account review, enforcement of internal policies and conducting organizational staff trainings. Ensure system activities are processed timely and accurately. The Systems Compliance and Reporting analyst verifies the reliable and timely preparation of internal and external reports related to their areas of responsibility. The candidate should be able to synthesize large quantities of data.
Principal Duties, Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
Maintain Oceana’s NetSuite ERP ledger:
- Assist NetSuite Administrator and NetSuite users in troubleshooting issues, upload monthly allocation journal entries, maintain monthly schedule of reports emailed from NetSuite.
- Provide training for new users and provide assistance with password resets, adding new users.
- Draft reconciliation of general ledger to subsidiary ledger. Research and resolve any discrepancies discovered. Provide supporting transactions to accounting team.
- Ensure that all transactions and journal entries are recorded timely and accurately in accordance with donor intent, internal policies, U.S. GAAP and governmental regulations.
- Coordinate the collection of allocations from around the organization and prepare the monthly staff cost allocations
- Compute, calculate and record/post statistical and financial data.
- Review and confirm Oceana’s consolidated revenue and restricted donations in Salesforce CRM.
Maintain time and attendance platform (Nexonia):
- Assist users with resetting time off requests and other user questions, provide user training, provide assistance to OAs with reporting and time off bank balance adjustments, maintain time off banks, provide report creation assistance, troubleshoot integration issues between Nexonia and NetSuite, edit user settings for new users, maintain credit card transaction feeds, close monthly timesheet periods.
- Maintain user database for active and terminated employees
- Research and validate the appropriate applied calculation.
- Coordinate with Oceana teams to explain variance from budget. Identify when a budget modification is required.
Support systems process improvement
- Efficiently and accurately propose/implement enhanced data mining techniques for better information sources
- Effectively communicate with internal and external customers to provide high levels of service, adding value to all interactions. Working with development, research issues and provide a timely and professional response/resolution.
- Work with HR and other finance staff to ensure complete and accurate employee timekeeping and expense records.
- System Administrator for Asana, Bank of America CashPro, Corporate Credit Card and Visual Compliance
- Conduct regular trainings to non-accountants to ensure that personnel are well informed of changes in programs, policies, and procedures and related to areas.
- Responsible for preparing quarterly lobbying report and annual FINCEN reporting
- Running reports and queries from financial, payroll and time tracking systems.
- Other duties as assigned.
Job Requirements, Education and Work Experience:
- Reliable team player who contribute to a productive working environment with other employees to meet organizational goals.
- Well-developed written and oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Strong analytical skills and problem solving skills utilizing Microsoft office products.
- Able to effectively prioritize multiple responsibilities in a faced paced environment and perform them with speed, accuracy and courtesy.
- Possess a strong understanding about the nuances of team dynamics, and know how their words and actions impact others; and exercise good judgment to help them deal with others in an effective way.
- Able to maintain the highest level of confidentiality regarding payroll and other confidential information.
- Able to commit to the mission and goals of Oceana.
Education & Experience
- Undergraduate degree required.
- At least three years of relevant experience.
- Experience utilizing complex ERP and ledger system
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience applying United States Generally Accepted Grant Principles (GAAP), laws, regulations, and internal policies related to their areas of responsibility.
Compensation includes a competitive base salary, along with a generous benefit package including health care insurance and retirement benefits.