The Office Manager is responsible for all aspects of managing Oceana’s office space in Washington, DC, to create a pleasant and attractive office environment that displays Oceana’s brand, is conducive to achieving Oceana’s mission and ensures efficiency. S/he helps other US offices as needed. The Office Manager is the main point of contact for the building management and is responsible for intra-office communications, developing, implementing and enforcing administrative procedures, training staff, ensuring day-to-day office services are provided including set up and use of office equipment and conference rooms, and office staff supervision.
The Office Manager is an energetic professional who doesn’t mind wearing multiple hats; can handle a wide range of tasks and is able to work independently with little or no supervision. Well organized, flexible and enjoys the administrative challenges of supporting an office of diverse people
FACILITIES MANAGEMENT AND MAINTENANCE
- Serve as the point person with building management for office maintenance, repairs and janitorial services.
- Ensure office is kept clean and tidy and in good working order.
- Arrange for maintenance and care of appliances, equipment and Oceana-owned office plants.
- Ensure regular cleaning of carpets, conference rooms, common workspaces, etc.
- Purchase/lease and maintain Oceana equipment and appliances (refrigerators, toasters, copiers, faxes, postage meter, etc.).
- Assign offices and workstations to new employees and manage internal moves.
- Track leases for all US offices to ensure renewal when needed.
- Serve as point of contact for Oceana’s Green and Fun Teams regarding office issues.
- Manage contract and price negotiations with office vendors and service providers .
- Develop and implement office policies, procedures and standards to guide office operations.
- Ensure duties of reception, incoming and outgoing mail, shipping, and stocking supplies, are completed and that reception and work areas are kept tidy.
- Serve as our phone system expert. Ensure phone system, recorded messages and forwarding of calls are working correctly and that staff are trained in its use. With IT maintain equipment and trouble-shoot when needed to solve problems.
- Create shipping and mailing processes and communicate to staff. Be the expert in the best ways to ship for the best price. Advise staff.
- Manage offsite storage. Work with departments to follow Oceana’s document retention policy.
- Maintain inventory and procure office supplies.
- Manage building access including key distribution, access for guests/vendors/maintenance and the management of related systems.
- Ensure conference rooms are clean, organized and ready for use, with special attention to needs when board members, donors, or other Oceana partners will be in attendance.
- Serve as our AV expert and a resource to staff regarding conferencing technology.
- Manage relationships with vendors and service providers, ensuring that all items are invoiced and paid on time.
ORIENTATION and TRAINING
- Maintain a safe and secure working environment
- Work with the Global Risk staff to develop and maintain safety plan for the office; and to train staff on matters of safety and arrange for training from outside experts.
- Provide orientation and training to new employees regarding office services, equipment, resources.
- Assist with planning, logistics and execution of company and training events including New Employee Orientation and the International All Staff Meeting.
- Recruit and manage the receptionist whose duties include servicing other departments; staff who fill in for the receptionist; and any temporary staff hired to provide reception or office services.
- Oversee the work of Oceana’s part-time librarian.
- Ensure invoices related to office management and maintenance are paid timely.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and work experience:
- At least 3 years office management experience and knowledge of office management responsibilities, systems and procedures including safety protocols and vendor negotiations and management.
- Proficient in Windows-based applications, including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience managing phone systems, AV technology, and other business equipment and serving as point of contact for such amenities.
Skills and knowledge:
- Must possess effective problem-solving, conflict resolution and communication skills (written and verbal).
- Knowledge of phone systems and how to make the best use of them.
- Knowledge of international shipping rules and regulations.
- Must be a self-motivated, self-starter, team player, able to meet deadlines, and able to handle many tasks simultaneously with speed, accuracy, and courtesy.
- An ability to learn and use software utilized by Oceana is necessary.
- Experience putting in place and managing office safety protocols.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Knowledge of accounting, data and administrative management practices and procedures
- Knowledge of clerical practices and procedures.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Ability to take initiative in suggesting ways to augment work and responsibilities of position to accomplish Oceana’s goals.
The above declarations are not intended to be an “all inclusive” list of duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job and are a reasonable representation of its activities.
To Apply: Please attach a copy of your cover letter to your resume