At long last, the final installment, the moment you’ve all been waiting for, the conclusion of the top 20 fish with bad names that we should consider renaming. …
- Windowpane (Scophthalmus aquosus) – Bob Villa must have named this one.
- Gag (Mycteroperca microlepis) – I don’t know maybe the word can be reclaimed to have a positive association with this grouper, but it’ll be tough to overcome the “yuck” reaction from most if the name stays.
- Mullet (Lutjanus aratus) – Perhaps once this was an acceptable moniker, but now it conjures up too many images of bad hair.
- Darwin’s slimehead (Gephyroberyx darwinii) – Is this more offensive to Chuck or the fish?
- Weakfish (Cynoscion regalis) – So puny, so girly – they need to start pumping iron.
If you liked the list of fish, keep coming by from time to time. I’ve got some other lists waiting in the wings. …
Until next time.