Oceana Benefits, Culture & Diversity
When you work at Oceana, you are part of an organization that literally changes people’s lives by protecting the oceans, improving food security and enhancing livelihoods. Whether you are contributing as a policy advocate, fundraiser, or team member, you play a pivotal role in helping Oceana achieve its goals every day. Our culture is one of talented people working together with a common purpose.
As an Oceana team member, you know that what you do matters. Join us today to protect the world’s oceans and restore them to their former level of abundance!
Oceana values a diverse workforce and welcomes people different from each other in many ways, including characteristics such as race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, and national origin. Oceana considers all qualified candidates and seeks to recruit from a diverse candidate pool.
Oceana Benefits – United States
Oceana offers generous benefits to all eligible employees. To ensure that our benefit programs are competitive in the marketplace, Oceana regularly benchmarks the programs against those of other leading not-for-profit organizations in the countries where we operate. Additionally, as the marketplace evolves, Oceana wishes to provide options that address the needs of its employees and their families while promoting healthy lifestyles.
Health Insurance: Medical, Dental and Vision plans provided the first of the month following date of employment. Oceana provides competitive HSA and PPO options for all eligible employees and their dependents, including domestic partners. Oceana offers up to 100% coverage for employees and up to 50% premium coverage for dependents. Oceana also contributes up to $2,700 a year to the HSA plan.
Flexible Spending Account:
- Health Care Reimbursement Account = Maximum pre-tax annual employee contribution of $2,600
- Dependent Care Reimbursement Account = Maximum pre-tax annual employee contribution of $5,000.
403(b) Plan: Employees can contribute immediately upon hire date. Oceana matches 100% up to 5% contribution after 6 months of employment. Oceana also contributes 7% towards the plan as discretionary contribution after 6 months. No participation in the plan is required to receive the discretionary contribution.
Transportation Options: SmartBenefits and parking are pre-tax payroll deductions available to all employees in DC and NY offices.
The following benefits are provided by Oceana to eligible employees:
- Life Insurance, Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance: Coverage equal to 2 times the employee’s base salary up to $350,000 effective the first of the month following date of employment.
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability: Effective the first of the month following date of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: Confidential counseling services provided free to all employees and their families effective immediately after employment.
- Health Advocate Program: A comprehensive spectrum of programs to help employees and their families navigate the complex healthcare and insurance systems to save time and money.
- Travel Assistance: Provided to employees and their dependents for their medical, financial, legal and travel needs, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year while traveling internationally or domestically.
- Business Travel Insurance: Provided through SOS to all employees traveling internationally on Oceana’s behalf.
- Family Medical Leave: In accordance with DC Family Medical Leave Act, 16 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave within a 24-month period to care for yourself, your spouse, child or parent with a serious health condition or the birth or adoption of a child.
- Paid Maternal/Paternal Leave: New parents (birth or adoption) who are regular full time employees with one year or more of continuous service with Oceana can take up to 8 weeks of paid paternal leave during the first 16 weeks following the birth of a child or the placement of a child for adoption.
- Bereavement Leave: 5 days of paid leave for the passing of close family.
- Vacation Time:
- 1 – 5 years of employment = 15 days per year
- 6 – 10 years of employment = 20 days per year
- Over 10 years of employment = 25 days per year
- Sick Leave: 12 sick days per year. Prorated to one day for new employees hired on July 1 or after.
- Holidays: 10 Holidays per year.
- Floating Holidays: 2 days per year. Prorated to one day for new employees hired on July 1 or after.
- Personal Days: 2 days per year. Prorated to one day for new employees hired on July 1 or after.
- Personal days and floating holidays do not carry over from year to year and employees are not paid for unused personal days.